Identity theft is a federal crime in which someone wrongfully obtains and uses your personal information in a fraudulent or deceptive manner, usually for economic gain. It is reported to be the world's fastest growing crime. The most common way thieves steal personal information online is through spoof emails, spoof Web sites, social engineering and other scams.
Educating yourself is the first line of defense against identity theft. Become familiar with and aware of any current issues or security threats that exist by visiting the following sites:
How to Report Identity Theft
Identity theft is a serious matter to Islanders Bank. If you believe you are a victim of identity theft, please take the following actions:
- Call the fraud departments of one of the three major credit reporting agencies and ask them to put a "fraud alert" on your file. This tells creditors to call you before they open any more accounts in your name
Equifax: To report fraud, call 1-800-525-6285. To order a report call 1-800-685-1111
Experian: To order a report or to report fraud, call 1-888-397-3742
TransUnion: To report fraud, call 1-800-680-7289. To order your report, call 1-800-916-8800
- Report the incident to the Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft Hotline at 1-877-ID-THEFT (1-877-438-4338)
- Report the incident to Islanders Bank at 1-360-378-3658
- Notify your local law enforcement agency and ask to file an Identity Theft Report .
Other security Tips
- Keep your Internet browser up to date to take advantage of the latest security patches and enchancements.
- Take all necessary steps to keep your computer free from viruses or worms that might be used to capture password keystrokes or transmit information from your computer's hard drive.
- Be suspicious of emails requesting account and/or password information. Do not ever provide account information, any PINS or passwords in an email.
- Be careful where you access your Online Banking accounts. Do not use a public Internet access computer or rented computers. Computers can be configured to capture private information from unsuspecting Internet users.
- Shred all printed documents with account information before discarding them.