If you have any reason to believe that your personal information has been compromised and misused to commit fraud or theft – do not wait, take action immediately.  Contact any of the three major credit reporting agencies and place a fraud alert on your credit file.

Additional steps to follow:
Contact local, state and federal agencies.
  • Contact your local Law Enforcement Agency and file an Identity Theft report.  This will assist you when working with your financial institution, creditors, and major credit bureaus.
  • File a report with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).  Fill out an ID Theft Affidavit.

Go to: www.idtheft.govOr Call:1-877-IDTHEFT (1-877-438-4338) TTY: 1-866-653-4261

  • Contact your financial institution.  You may need to:
    • Put stop payments on any lost checks
    • Cancel your existing debit card
    • Close existing account(s)
    • Open new accounts
  • Contact the three major credit reporting bureaus.
    Ask for a 90-Day Fraud Alert to be placed on your file.

  • Contact all creditors by phone, and in writing.  Include any mortgage, HELOC, business, auto, personal loans, and credit cards.   File a law enforcement Identity Theft report and ID Theft Affidavit with each creditor.
  • Notify your Post Office.  Ensure your address is accurate as most correspondence will be conducted via US mail.  USPS:; 1-800-275-8777
  • Notify the Social Security Administration if your social security card has been comprised.  Report benefit, unemployment, or welfare fraud:  SSA Fraud Hotline: 1-800-269-0271;
  • Notify the State Department Passport Office.  Ask them to monitor for new passports opened in your name:  Call: 1-977-487-2778; or visit
  • If your passport is lost or stolen:

NOTE: Keep copies of all correspondence and document any communication exchanges.

Extra Steps:

  • To report Check Fraud;  contact ChexSystems and TeleCheck
  • ChexSystems:   1-800-428-9623
  • TeleCheck:  1-800-710-9898
  • To file an online complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3):
  • Monitor your credit report periodically.  You can get free annual reports online at:
  • If you experience phone or utility fraud:  Contact any utility companies (Phone, Cell Provider, Water, and Electricity) affected by the theft.
  • If you are contacted by a Collection Agency:
    • Notify them that you did not accumulate the debt, and that you are a victim of identity theft.
    • Provide a copy your Law Enforcement Identity Theft report and/or ID Theft Affidavit.
  • If you believe you’ll have tax repercussions as a result of identity theft, contact the IRS at:,  or call: 1-800-908-4490

Additional Resources:
Federal Trade Commission (FTC):